Minutes of the Buckland Brewer Village Hall Committee Meeting
Held on 21st March 2012 8.00p.m.
Present: Trevor Mills (Chair); Jane Lowe (Secretary);Kevin Lobb (Treasurer);Jim Lowe; Margaret & David Lloyd; Lyn Layton; George Tilley; Shirley Tilley; David Watson
1) Apologies: John Bridge; Jo Birch; Dawn Dzuirzynski; Frank Watson; Peter Sandon (resigned as Gardening Club Rep)
2 ) Minutes of last meeting
Agreed and signed off as correct record
3) Matters Arising
Staging insurance – a cheque for appx £330 has been raised and is now being processed
Action from minutes of 2011 on Jane to write to Round Table – no acknowledgement of this request has yet been received (unsure about frequency of their meetings). However in addition she wrote to Rotary in Bideford who have responded with apologies of lateness of response & a donation of £250 towards repairs.
Heater in skittle alley – Trevor ordered a tube some time ago but has had no response & has discovered the order has probably not been actioned. He has been led to believe he will have to try elsewhere and will now do so.
Guttering at back of Hall is nearly completed – a few more fittings are required.
Cooker – ongoing matter raised tonight by Lyn & Shirley. Agreed all the cooker cannot continue in a state of disrepair – not acceptable to users. Shirley believes she has located someone willing to attempt the repair – McBains will assess and repair if possible. Costs – total charge £100 + VAT if repair can be carried out (includes cost of hinges). I.R.O. £30 if the repair proves not to be possible. ACTION – Shirley to instruct McBains to come out, assess & repair if possible (agreed all).
Letter from Rotary Club – see 3.
TDC have set rates 2012/13 at £0.00
Mail from Charities Commission advising annual return is now due – to be completed by 30th June. ACTION Jane to complete (online)
5) Treasurer’s Report
Copies of Monthly Reconciliation passed to Chair & Secretary, key points being:
Principality Interest is £332.87
VH Repairs have totalled £1774
Purchase of new chairs paid out £3637.
PRS costs have doubled – 2 licenses are now mandatory – £120
Electric Usage (listed as item 8 on Agenda) – comparative figures for 2010,’11,’12 have been provided and the conclusion is that between income from meter and outgoing to electric bill, in previous years the average discrepancy was appx £100 deficit to VH, but this year it is appx £350 (meter income appears to have halved, outgoing electric bill increased by over 20%).Agreed this should be deferred until direct dialogue happens with U-5s/their rep. ACTION – Trevor will visit & speak to playgroup organiser prior to the next BBVH committee meeting.
Current a/c -£340.24 Deposit a/c £2,905.10 New Village Hall £15,778.56
Total balances held £49,356.77
6) Update New Parish Community Hall – presented by Jim
An officers meeting was held on 10th February to update them at that time. A copy of the notes of that meeting is attached with these minutes.
An agreement has now been reached with the landowners re sale price & 2 phases. Outline Planning is now not far away. TDC have asked Community Council of Devon to carry out a housing needs survey – this is not deemed to be an issue by Pearces. David W asked for clarity on purpose – this survey is to establish how many families in the parish need social housing – agreed all this is a very frustrating “paper exercise” but appears to be a matter of established practice and is not anticipated this will present any barriers to progress.
Re funding, Jim believes that c£.05M can be raised without troubling the National Lottery.
3 quotes will now be possible – Pearces would like the work but have been obliged to enable 3 quotes to take place. The 3 quotes are likely to be requested from Pearces, Staceys (local, Holsworthy) + one other local firm capable of undertaking this work.
A detailed drawing is essential (also for detailed Planning). David (Lloyd) expects to be able to make an approximate reduction of 20% from the original requirement, making a high level cost for the new hall of £400k.
Jim & David (L) attended an eco-building seminar at Rattery whose hall was built by the parishioners themselves without funding – this was not considered to be a realistic solution in Buckland Brewer. In terms of size & “spec” the Rattery hall would be identical to Buckland requirements. We must speak very soon to the architects to get a revised drawing and planning permission.
ACTION – Jim & David L to see architect a.s.a.p. – David will list the requirements in advance of that visit.
Jim advised of a further seminar planned to take place in Bridestowe on 9th May – if it happens somebody will attend (no one specified).
Jim confirmed that as soon as “things start to move” Pearces will come and speak to Buckland Brewer.
Parish Council now have the necessary consents/waivers of interest in place to allow them to vote.
David L advises that there is an expectation from Community Council of Devon upon the Parish Council to make a meaningful donation towards the project. A means of doing this will be discussed within the Parish Council.
7) Fund raising/entertainment – presented by Jim
The Playing Fields Association have confirmed their support and 50/50 participation in the Picnic Proms on 23rd June. The sub-committee is currently obtaining sponsorship to help cover up front costs and mitigate financial risks. Pricing is yet to be agreed, there will be fireworks at the end, John Hobbs (local semi-pro) baritone is giving services free of charge to the village, Gary Little has agreed to build the stage, & a sound engineer has been hired. A generator is needed – Trevor advises no problem anticipated. Insurance company (NFU) will not cover for cancellation unless they cover the whole event –Trevor will ask about cost to cover the whole event. We shall be selling drink only (audience expected to bring their own food).
At this stage Jim asked whether a donation could be made to Childrens Hospice in acknowledgement of Alana & Keith’s generosity with their marquee. Agreed by all – a donation of £25 + some tickets to the event. ACTION Kevin to raise a cheque for this & give to Jim.
There has been no notification yet of the Beaford promoters evening for autumn events.
Rosemoor is still “ticking along” – Little Torrington is not yet involved.
Safari Lunch – a BBVH co-ordinator is needed to secure that portion of funding– agreed Margaret will take this on.
Filmnight has continued to run in deficit – agreed that with regret this situation cannot continue. Jane explained the conditions of Copyright Law – regardless of event e.g. showing without charge, club etc, once a DVD/film is lifted out of the home and viewed in a hall, theatre etc then a license fee must be paid (this ends up at the film studio). ”One-off” is appx £75 per showing. An annual “blanket” license (Jane has been unable to access the area on Filmbank website to ascertain exact sum) is expected to cost no less than £250 p.a.. David Lloyd commented that we cannot compete- the parish is too small in terms of potential audience, advertising outside the parish is too onerous on this frequency, and we cannot charge more. All attendees asked to give some consideration as to other film-related ventures to ensure the kit gets used. Jane has said that after 2 years she would wish to hand over the labour-intensive administration, log-on & passwords to the Filmbank account to someone else if it is decided it still has value. Revisit this subject at the end of summer.
Raffle – there is a quilt that has been donated to raise funds for Village Hall – Margaret and Trevor to arrange the draw to happen during the Plant Sale, 12/13th May.
Margaret – a message board in the kitchen would be very useful, allowing general communications about broken items, removal of kit (broken or otherwise) – agreed all. An old white board was found in the broom cupboard. ACTION Kevin to reduce this to a practical size & hang on the kitchen wall.
Shirley queried the need for some of the cleaners equipment (taking up space). ACTION Kevin to ask Nicky to review her stock & dispose of any unwanted items.
Jane advised she had received notification from Peter Sandon of his resignation, had thanked him for his service on behalf of the committee, & asked about the status of Gardening Club and their new rep – Lyn advised that the Club Chair had recently asked for someone to fill this role and a decision/nominee is awaited. Agreed Jane can send these draft minutes to Lyn to circulate within Gardening Club Chair as a temporary measure to keep them advised.
DATE OF NEXT MEETING Wednesday 16th May 2012 at 8.00 p.m.
The meeting closed at 9.20 p.m.