BUCKLAND BREWER PARISH COUNCIL: Draft Minutes of the meeting held on 9th January 2013.
Members Present: Mr Jim Lowe, Mr David Lloyd, Mrs Kate Slocombe, Mr Andrew Hewitt, Mr D Watson, Mrs Barbara Babb, Mrs Shirley Tilley, Mr Trevor Mills, Mr George Heywood, Councillor Alison Boyle and 49 members of the public.
847. Apologies: None
848. Minutes: The minutes of the meeting held on 12th December 2012 were read, confirmed and signed.
849. Public Speakers: John Bridge – New Community Hall Funding: Annual Precept: a statement in response to a letter circulated in the village; Peter Sandon – New Community Hall Funding: Annual Precept; Peter McClymont – Community Shop.
850. Declarations of Interest: Mrs Barbara Babb – Village Hall; Mr George Heywood – Village Hall;
851. Correspondence: DALC Newsletter with Clerks training dates. Information received from DCC Engagement Strategy which will be placed on the agenda at the next meeting.
Four letters received from parishioners regarding New Community Hall: – Annual Precept.
852. Localism Act: Nothing to report.
853. Thornehillhead Moor: Letter received from R Hicks regarding Thornehillhead Moor management- copy sent to all members. The Chairman reported that he had attended the first meeting of the Graziers. Grazing to be based on cattle numbers. It would seem that Mr Coles will be the premier grazier to start with and that the managing of the Thornehillhead account will remain with the Parish Council. The Graziers list was distributed amongst Councillors. The Clerk reported she had distributed the latest update from Claire McIntosh from Hicks & Co.
854. Thornehillhead Moor Communication Mast: The Chairman and Mr George Heywood will be pursuing this matter with Geoffrey Cox MP.
855. Village Hall: Refer to Budget and Annual Precept discussions.
856. Solar Array: Mr George Heywood reported that he was awaiting to hear when two interested companies would be able to attend a Parish Council meeting to talk about a solar array.
857. Diamond Jubilee: No further update.
858. Parish Defibrillator: No further update.
859. Tarka Homes: The Chairman to chase Tarka Homes for an update regarding proposed developments re Tuckers Park.
861. Members Reports: Mrs Shirley Tilley thanked the parishioners for attending this evening, and read a report on all of the items that the Parish Council were working towards, spent money on and achieved.
Mrs Shirley Tilley reported that the slipway down Orleigh Hill is covered in grass.
Mrs Shirley Tilley reported that a light in Gorwood Road was coming on in the day.
Mrs Shirley Tilley thanked Councillor Alison Boyle for all her help on Parish Council matters.
Mr Trevor Mills reported that complaints had been made regarding the state of the roads in particular the road from Buckland Brewer to Parkham and by Babeleigh Farm, between Babeleigh Cross and Buckland Brewer – the Clerk to report these.
Mr Andrew Hewitt reported that the hedge had slipped on Orleigh Hill and the drain is blocked
Mr George Heywood reported that the road was in a poor state between Bowden Cross and East & West Stone.
Mrs Kate Slocombe reported that the kerbs were crumbling away by the Coach and Horses in the village.
Mrs Alison Boyle reported that there were concerns regarding the state of many roads following the recent flooding and the County Council had sought and received some financial support from the government.
862. Budget Review: Sub Committee and setting of precept. The Chairman went through the expenditure for the period 01.04.13-31.03.14.
There was a lengthy discussion regarding the youth club, supporting documents had been emailed to all Parish Councillors. The Parish Council felt that they would like to see fund raising by the Youth Club alongside the Parish Council allocating funds. It was agreed that the youth club be allocated £300 in this period, 8 were in favour, 1 against. It was agreed that the leader Chris Turner would be invited to attend a Parish Council meeting to discuss his proposals. It was also agreed to pursue the appointment of Phil Slocombe as a Trustee of the new charity.
The Chairman reported that the numbers were a bit disappointing for users of the 372 bus service during July and August – August was busier. It was agreed that £150.00 be left in the budget, other options to be explored for this year – i.e. taxi, car share, August only Bus.
After a discussion regarding Back Lane, it was felt chippings should be placed, 8 were in favour and 1 against the proposal of £400 in the budget.
It was agreed a sum of £500 would be allocated to grants.
The Parish Council agreed to allocate a sum of £250.00 towards the cobbles for the Church.
The Chairman discussed the salt spreading and felt this value of £1500 should be placed on the precept, Andrew Hewitt agreed that too many people rely on the roads being clear.
The Chairman reported that prices had been obtained for the works on the village green, with NO PARKING being placed on the tarmac and a quote of £4500 was given South West Highways, it was felt this would be considered in the following year. It was felt maybe a sign could be erected. The chairman reported he would again chase, regarding the provision of boulders on the village Green. The Chairman reported on various precepts in other areas as a comparison.
The Chairman read out a letter from David Green head of Planning at TDC indicating that a draft decision notice for the new Community Hall and adjoining development will be given on or before the 22nd January. “I hope the above reassures you that planning permission will be granted for this excellent scheme subject to the signing of the Section 106 legal agreement and the proposal now complies with local plan policy.” Mr David Lloyd proposed that £1000 be placed on the precept for one year only. Mr Trevor Mills feels that this was the final chance and that all of the parish will benefit in the future. 6 were in favour and 1 against this proposal.
It was agreed that the precept be set at £3500.00 for the year.
Applications: 1/1030/2012/CPE: Certificate of lawful development, removal of condition 1 – Mambury House, Buckland Brewer. The Parish Council vote 2 in favour and 7 against. 1/1074/2012/ADV: Traditional hand painted shop sign and awning for new community shop – The Buckland Brewer Community Shop, Buckland Brewer. The Parish Council supports this application. 1/1077/2012/FUL: Erection of agricultural tractor machinery/stock building and hardcore yard area – Hembury Orchard, Frithelstock, Buckland Brewer. The Parish Council supports this application.
Permission granted: 1/1029/2012/FUL: Single storey side extension – Milford Cottage, Buckland Brewer
Permission refused: 1/0854/2012/FUL: Removal of holiday occupation condition to allow residential use – Timber Lodge, Buckland Brewer
864. Accounts: The clerk reported that the bank balances were as follows: Barclays Account, £870.14; Barclays Thornhillhead Moor Account, £94326.76. Cheques: Barclays Account, T. Soanes, £145.64, 100046; Torridge Community Transport Association (Bus), £109.22, 100047; Barclays TM Account: Devon C Council, £1155.00, 100015; Tom Lloyd, £6482.70, 100018; R Metherall, £7779.24,100017; BBPC Tfr, £280.00, 100019;
The Chairman thanked Theresa Soanes, who will leaving us on 31st January, for her work for the Parish Council. Mr Patrick Blosse will take up the post of Clerk on 1st February 2013.
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 10.00pm.
The next meeting being set for Wednesday 13th February 2013 at 8.00pm.