BUCKLAND BREWER VILLAGE HALL COMMITTEE
Minutes of the Meeting of Officers and the New Building Steering Committee on 13th November 2012.
Present: Trevor Mills (Chair); Kevin Lobb (Treasurer); Jane Lowe (secretary); George Tilley (vice-Chair); Dawn Dziurzynski (bookings secretary); David Lloyd ; Jim Lowe; John Bridge; Shirley Tilley accompanied George.
Purpose of meeting – update on progress re funding application
A review was carried out on John’s work re what has been done & what remains. Officers are required before the next full meeting to establish milestones for the project.
John has looked singularly at the Big Lottery.
Outcomes are required to be provided to a suite of questions e.g. basic aims, problems anticipated, evidence of need, who benefits & where. A full list is attached as addendum.
The funding will be the total cost of the project.N.B. this must not exceed £750K otherwise any application from BBVH breaches the conditions of the Big Lottery Grant .This will need to be clarified to the Employers Agent & Architect.
The name of the applicant/beneficiary must be identical on all legal documents, applications etc.
Bridging finance may be an option but initial investigations indicate that each request to borrow is viewed on its own merits – there is no guarantee and “open –ended” bridging (which is what this would be) is not favoured by many lenders. Any borrowing also leaves every trustee financially liable for the entire debt.
We need to pre-apply i.e. we need to complete an outline application which must be successful with Big Lottery before a full application is considered.
The pre-application & full application must be very similar.
John will write the applications but a collective input will be needed to create the business case (possible brain storming session – all trustees to be involved). The hall will need to be used in its entire potential, & 5 year’s budgeting will need to be created bearing this in mind
Agreed Jane should be the point of contact for the architect & employers agent pending other developments.
Concerns are felt about timings & deadlines – what do we do next when planning permission is obtained.
- Jane to ensure that communications between architect & employers agent are circulated freely amongst officers & trustees. All/any trustee wishing to communicate the other way must do so through Jane for the time being.
– Jane to enrol BBVH with DACB & Hallmark (**).
- Jane to get invoice payment timescales from Nigel Gale & Kevin Binmore (to ensure we do not breach any invoicing timescale – funds are “locked in” for 30 days).
- as & when planning permission is received, Jane to ensure at an early stage that NG & KB are fully aware of the £750k ceiling
- John to speak to Jenny Fish (TDC) re timings
- ensure Martin Rich (DACB) is also kept fully informed and gives advice – all/Jane.
- Jane to write to Health/GPs (Practice Managers) & Blood Donor Service as a starter re future use of hall to endeavour to expand the day-time use of the main hall.
The Big Lottery application must be in place by 31/1/13
Ongoing smaller committee meetings will be needed on a frequent basis – to comply with “acting collectively” these should always be open to all trustees who feel they have something to offer – these will not be restricted simply to officers & steering. Dates to be decided 21/11/12.
It was agreed that to comply with our trust deed & duties of trustees, all meetings will need to be minuted, circulated, documents produced, stored etc. Jane commented that this is yet more secretarial work – as it has been generally assumed she would be available to do this, she will do what she can to help, it but as over the last year she has been doing ave. 20-25 hours a month every month for the Village Hall (and thus this will increase), she hopes other trustees would feel able to step in where she has traditionally been contributing e.g. catering at/running fund raisers, checking on hall condition during school holidays etc