BUCKLAND BREWER VILLAGE HALL COMMITTEE: Minutes of the meeting held on 16th January 2013 at 8.00 p.m.
Present: Trevor Mills (Chair); George & Shirley Tilley; David Watson; Dawn Dziurzynski; Steve Harding; Alan Sutton; Jane Lowe (secretary); Jim Lowe; Frank Watson ; Jo Birch; John Bridge; Tom Lloyd;
1) Apologies: David & Margaret Lloyd; Kevin Lobb (Treasurer);
2) Non-attendee trustees from last time to sign acceptance register: Complete except Margaret Lloyd – injured hand – to be resolved next meeting;
3) Changes to affiliates’ representatives: Alan Sutton now represents Playing Field Association and has relinquished his co-opted status;
4) Minutes of Last Meeting 21st Nov 2012: agreed & signed off for lodgement on website.
5) Matters Arising:
Jane has written & thanked Lyn Layton for her past support as trustee
Hartland Orchestra has been reminded about the outstanding payment – they advised music was more important to them than money and had overlooked it, but will deal -all has been done that can be.
Gift Aid research – apologies received for this meeting from Kevin whose action this is – assumed by all that in view of need to prioritise financials for funders this may not yet have received attention – defer to next time for discussion with Kevin.
Xmas Market 2012 actions – complete but also see section on fund raising
9th Feb actions – see section on fund raising
Actions from Update on New Parish Community Hall – completed except attendance at “Fund it, Build It” workshop. Jane advised that other VH activities (mainly actions & numerous time-consuming commitments towards Christmas Market) had to take priority & there was a limit to people’s capacity. Martin Rich rang Jane & they discussed matters relating specifically to Buckland Brewer – agreed that despite networking having possibly been of help, there was no great loss in non-attendance, more a pity we could not again meet face to face.
Regards action to approach Official Custodian, Jane explained the mechanism was via the website only these days and the invitation was to make the amendment rather than enter into discussion about its possibility. On the basis of concensus and minutes of November last, she went ahead and requested the amendment. To revisit, the reasoning is protection for the Parish stands as since the inception of the Trust Deed, Official Custodian has since adopted the Title and Trustees must prove/evidence to Official Custodian that there is an equal or improved substitute premises prior to the sale of the existing hall. Official Custodian will withhold signed consent to sale until such is evidenced. To further ratify:
PROPOSAL to remove Trust Deed Clause 18 “If the Committee decides…inhabitants present and voting at such meeting” – proposed Alan Sutton, seconded Trevor Mills Agreed unanimously.
Trustee Indemnity – Action completed, see Item 10.
Kitchen improvement to accommodate securing of new pans. Jim has spoken to Richard Dorset but Richard is awaiting a hip replacement operation and the matter may not be dealt with immediately – Jim agreed this was fine, when Richard was fully able. Shirley expressed concern about further spend and its necessity, but it was explained that this action was a minuted “done deal” in her absence last time.
Key list- Frank confirmed that this remains Work in Progress – revisit next time for an update although Frank was able to assure all that the mislaid keys from Babbs, as was suspected, had been in the possession of the Zumba lady all the time, and had now been returned.
Nicky’s contract linked to monitoring white board – again apologies from Trevor & Jane but VH workload has been excessive with other priorities and this has proved one task too many – as there is a legal requirement to resolve this it will remain prominent on the “to do” list.
Mail from Lynn Brooks asking for a meet – to be dealt with under advice to all committee members ACTION Jane.
Confirmation from Torridge that following re-application, BBVH will continue to receive discount on rates and therefore will receive a £0 rates bill for April 2013 onwards.
A number of letters of support for new hall received from most affiliates although Gardening Club have not yet been able to produce one, delivered to John. Jo advises she and Andrea are producing for U-5s – emphasised to Jo that these are crucial to success and the timescales. Dawn has offered to produce more from interested non-affiliates – accepted all with gratitude – ACTION DAWN
Exchanges between Jane & Geoff Cox’s (MP) office regarding tardiness of TDC re planning application
Letter from Jane to Leader of TDC re failure by TDC to adhere to legal timescales – Barry Parsons (Leader) off sick but his deputy rang to apologise & attempt to justify – there is now an e-mail from TDC Head of Planning guaranteeing that Draft Approval will be released on or before 22nd January.
PRS Statement & receipted invoice passed direct to Kevin.
7) Treasurers Report (delivered by Secretary in absence of Treasurer)
Jane reminded all of apologies received by Kevin – will deliver report and any questions will be fed back for response next time.
Hall insurance was £578 for last time as opposed to £534 in 2011.
Electric remains a concern, having increased in cost (Sept to Jan year on year) from £385 to £600.
1. Increase in prices
2. Increase in usage, extra 253 kw net (day 320kw, evenings decreased by 67kw)
3. Last years figures are estimates, this years are actuals
4. EON discovered meter set incorrectly and we were paying tariff in reverse, weekdays & weekend rate.
Income has increased from £1889 to £2052 despite no cinema income & lower grant from Bridge Trust by £500.
Electric meter takings have increased from £103 to £202
Pre-school income increased from £483 to £680
Hall repairs are nil this year (last year £1200).
We are currently running at a loss of £585. Last year showed a loss of £5725 of which £3637 was equipment*i
Misc income has increased from £132 to £714 (Zumba, Boot Camp, polling, Private individual Hire 4 to 5).
New Village Hall
PRS £131 paid
Interest on Principality investment to decrease to 0.75% from 1.5% w.e.f. next month *ii
Christmas Market profit £527. After offline discussion with Kevin, PROPOSAL Jim that we should donate £250 of this to DAAT. Seconded Alan, agreed unanimously. ACTION Kevin to send payment to DAAT.
*i- suggestion by some committee members that purchase of chairs should be reflected in accounting terms as CapEx, declared as an asset with depreciation over several years as this will better and more correctly reflect the health of the budget– ACTION Kevin to review & clarify
*ii Accepted philosophically but comment by John that the longer we can hold on to these funds and defer billing (bearing in mind legal constraints where we will be guided by Kevin Binmore) possibly the better we are enabled to obtain matched funding and represent our financial health & status to funders in general.
Current a/c – £1511.54 Deposit a/c £2906.44 New Village Hall £8776.80
Principality – £30,332.87
Total balances held £43,527.65
8) Fund raising/events
a)9th Feb – Emily Wright. For clarity it will be Emily Wright & The Royals (band omitted from poster wording) – possible error in Beaford promotional information depending in their contract with Emily Wright. ACTION Dawn to contact Beaford & request they resolve as they own the promotional literature and contract with the artist.
Helpers – set-up, evening/serving/raffle, clear-up afterwards. Exact musical schedule t.b.c. ACTION Dawn
Bar license applied for by Jane who will be licensee – from 7pm-11pm.Ticketing £10 p.h. will be either via Dawn or Beaford who have the ability to process card payments. Everyone to help promote – place posters ACTION ALL.30 will cover costs, ideal attendance 50. Emily will bring her own p.a. but debate about (lack of) ambience and what can be done. If Beaford can supply portable spotlighting this will help ACTION – Dawn to find out & advise Alan who will fetch if this is possible. ACTION Frank will see if he can borrow some black drape adequate to conceal long wall notice boards. ACTION Jo to lend some screening to partially conceal toilet doors. Staging to help visibility may be desirable dependant upon numbers attending – indication by Friday morning – if it can be used Trevor will help fetch.
Teams – set-up Jane & Jim, Shirley & George (all who have said they will be available all day), Dave W (if more tables/chairs needed from chapel), Alan – 4 p.m.
Doors to open 7 p.m. Evening team – Bar – Trevor will ask Gus to organise and Dawn to liaise with him; available hands to deliver hot food to table (no pudding, to be replaced with cheese & biscuits to nibble throughout performance); Alan & Jim to do wine waiters to facilitate drink sales & improve ambience; Shirley to do raffle; prizes by donation (2 with Alan unclaimed from Xmas Market).
Accommodation may be required – not an issue, Alan, Jane & Jim, Dawn can offer.
b) Safari Lunch & Plant Sale – date to be May 12th
c) Fete – agreed as July 13th
d) Rosemoor – date agreed as 23rd August – discussion about acts/artists is Work in Progress
e) Xmas Market 2013(??). Jim advised in 2012 we were down on income because the craft group had nothing to sell and all their takings are donated to New Hall fund. They had advised that if 2013 takes place they will have goods to sell. On balance, 2012 gave a lot of better quality stalls. If it is to go ahead both Jim & Jane believe we need to “refresh the brand” i.e. make some changes so that “same old ,same old” does not deter customers. E.g. possibly a skittle knock out contest with a final on Market day with a large butchers prize, childrens lucky dip rather than Santa. Shirley suggested a child’s sleigh ride – all agreed a good idea but insurance would be prohibitive, however all to try and be creative about some form of childrens amusement/entertainment.
Concensus is that its success for 3 years running meant we really should go ahead in 2013. HOWEVER the lack of active support from the entire committee on the day (people are needed to be there all the time from start to finish, usually 8 a.m.- 4p.m.-ish) meant we would have been met with disaster in 2012 had there not been support from outside the committee – this cannot be allowed to happen again and Trevor asked for ACTION all committee members to give Jim & Jane the support that was needed before and on the day. Resolution Christmas Market 2013 to take place & set for Saturday 7th December
f) – Other ideas. Virtual Treasure Hunt – Jane advised this still had a life of its own – she & Jim were presenting it in Loxhore in exchange for a donation to hall funds. Also BBPFA may want its use (in which case it will need a little re-writing of questions) also in exchange for a donation.
Jane & Jim have also written a quiz for use elsewhere and offer it (as a ready made package, minimal effort involved) to Village Hall. Quiz on basis of central controlled marking, not answer-sheet swapping. Suggest a simple hot one-course supper half-way through and bring your own drink, cost £5 per head. Agreed – date for quiz to be 23rd March, just before Easter.
9) Update on New Parish Community Hall
Jim reminded all that the up to date & changing position remained visible on the website and the Parish Council notice board to ensure the community remained informed. John & Shirley said they had received positive feedback from within the community about the project. Meeting with Kevin Binmore resulted in Kevin being instructed to cost the new hall and go out to tender – this at least will decide who is to be the builder although preferred supplier remains Pearce. The instruction includes an ability to build in stages if lack of immediate funding demands it, top price £750k as dictated by Big Lottery limitations.
DCC have a possible £15k – Alison Boyle is trying to ascertain whether DCC have certain building spec in exchange for this.
John addressed the committee thanking Jane, Dawn & Kevin for specific input. He was concerned he hadn’t heard from Kevin Binmore about cost information ACTION Jane to support by “nudging” Kevin. He commented that if successful with our Outline Application for funding thus going for Stage Two, a bid for 10% Development Funding can be submitted. This could pay for a range of expenses associated with the project including Professional Fees, Project Management, Developing a Business Plan and Capital Project Delivery. This money cannot be claimed retrospectively so fees already paid cannot be included. We must therefore try to defer any future payments of this nature until we have the Development Funding subject to contractual requirements – failure to pay on time will incur large fines.
Upon submission of a full application it can take up to 17 months for Big Lottery to give a decision. Based on draft timings the hall should be started in late summer 2014 and therefore Lottery work must commence now although complexity of such means John needs practical help – suggested that a maximum of 4 in the “application team” would help rather than hinder. Resolution/Next Steps “Lottery Application Team” to be Steve, Jane & Dawn led by John who will invite/arrange the meetings.
10) Recommendation by Community Council of Devon to review insurances & discuss possible need for individual trustee indemnity insurance.
First part deferred until Kevin is able to attend.
Jane has obtained literature from Community Council of Devon (ACRE publication Village Hall Information Sheet 35 if anyone wants to get a copy)– fairly in depth about where risk is incurred & reasons why trustees may want to be insured. Item 1.2. paraphrased indicates the best protection is not to incur liabilities, basically by ensuring that the charity is well managed and good practice is followed. Jane asked whether anyone was concerned. All agreed that in line with Martin Rich’s advice from last October we had ACRE trustee guidelines which we were ensuring we followed and where there was financial & other matters to address in our project we had placed ourselves entirely in the hands of qualified professionals, following their advice, commonsense notwithstanding. We all felt therefore that at this time we did not want to progress any insurance although this remains an option to anyone who wants to put it back on the agenda.
8 ) AOB
John advised that the Bowls notice boards/shelving had not been completed but inadvertently the parish photograph had been put up where they hoped to do this work. He said that the work would still take place and hoped that relocating the photograph would not present an issue – agreed all.
DATES OF NEXT MEETINGS – IT IS NOW IMPERATIVE THAT ALL TRUSTEES ATTEND AS FAR AS POSSIBLE. It was also agreed some time ago that when the need arose we should meet more frequently, John advising that on his funding application he had advised we are meeting monthly. If not required meetings can be cancelled but future dates are:
Wednesdays 27th Feb; 27th March (postponed as John is away on the scheduled date); 24th April; 15th May, all at 8.00 p.m.
The meeting closed at 9.40 p.m.